Now, Almond Flour and Mozzarella are your friends!
This is a gift – given to me, and I now pass along to all of you. A gift for those doing the low-carb-thang, the gift of bagels. Yes, my friends, even though we have sworn to abstain from carbs and their glorious servants of bread, here is a bagel you can easily bake and eat!
This life-saver was brought to us from Wholesome Yum, and what a joy! The few things I miss eating low-carb are the bread-y things, bagels being one of my favorites. This recipe is a spin-off from the infamous Fat-Head Pizza dough, and is made primarily from almond flour and mozzarella. I know it sounds like it will make a mess putting it together, but it’s really easy to clean up – so don’t let that stop you! I threw these together at 10 pm, cleaned up, and was done eating one by 11!
On my next attempt, I’m going to throw a little yeast in the mix, not for any dough-raising properties, but to see if I can add a little of the flavor and smell of a traditional yeast bread. If it works, it will be killer!
These don’t toast up like regular bagels, although some people have had luck broiling in a toaster oven, while others fry the buttered halves in a skillet. I put mine in the toaster on the longest setting and then buttered ’em, and while not crispy, they were still awesomely delicious.
These total out at about 360 calories and 5 net carbs each. This may not be an every day snack, but if it fits your macros for the day – woo-hoo! I hope you get the chance to give them a try, maybe with some Kerrygold butter! Good luck and good eating!
- 1½ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together the almond flour and baking powder, breaking up any lumps.
- In a separate bowl (glass is preferable), combine the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave for 1 minute, stir, microwave one more minute and stir once more until well mixed.
- Stir the flour mixture and eggs into the melted cheese mixture. Knead with your hands until a dough forms and ingredients are fully mixed. The dough will be very sticky. If the dough becomes too stiff before fully combined, microwave an additional 15-20 seconds to soften it.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts. Form each into a long snake, and then stick the ends together to make a bagel shape on the lined baking sheet. If you're adding any toppings, brush with an egg wash and lightly press the toppings on, or brush with a light coating of butter.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden.